A few words from the author…
I’m MacDara Conroy. I’m a word wrangler — digital editor, subeditor, copywriter, film and music writer, production-side journalist, etc — as well as a mediavore and wrestling aficionado (in no particular order), living in Dundalk (via Dublin) with the lovely Bee and our growing collection of board games.
This website is my blog and home on the web, though you can also find me on Twitter, MetaFilter, Flickr (not so much since they capped uploads at a thousand, mind) and a few other places. If you want to support what I do here, you can buy me a Ko-fi.
I’m also available for hire for freelance writing and editing assignments. While I skew towards the arts, I have a broad base of experience in news and features, from migrant issues to all things marine. You can read things I’ve written at Bandcamp Daily, Thumped and Burning Ambulance, and stuff I’ve edited or contributed at Afloat.ie.
Here’s what I’m currently up to, in no particular order (updated July 2019):
- I’ve still got a few gigabytes of music promos to get through. It’s been so long since I’ve written a music review or feature that no one’s expecting anything from me, I’m sure. But I feel pangs of guilt regardless. Pretty much everything I listen to gets scrobbled to my Last.fm profile but you’ll find I spin the old favourites as much as if not more often than new stuff. Both will be reflected in the next Enlarged Heard Radio, which I’ve been slacking off on for months.
- I fell out of the podcast habit for a while there, but I’m taking my time with The Lapsed Fan’s Lamentable Tragedy of World Class (start here for the epic ride). I also regularly fall asleep to Between the Sheets because I can tune out to the obscure chatter.
- I’m doing more listening to wrestling podcasts than watching wrestling at the moment. It took me three days to get through the last WWE PPV; I haven’t even started the most recent AEW one. Good luck keeping up with New Japan’s G1 Climax. It’s a phase, the passion will return, and the matches will all still be there to watch when it does.
- No change for me on reading front, or the lack thereof, beyond what I do for work. But my Goodreads page is there regardless. And I did get that digital subscription to The Wire after all, though I haven’t actually read one in a while. That’s always the way, isn’t it?
- I’ve just reblogged half a year’s worth of mini-reviews from my Letterboxd film diary with more to come. I’ve actually been to the cinema a few times this year, and overall I’ve watched a few gems. More to come, I hope. I’ve got some Blu-rays that need spinning, too.
- I catch a bit of TV when I’m in the mood, scrobbled (when I remember) to my Trakt.tv account. One recent favourite is the incredible Forged in Fire. It’s Chopped for Bladesmiths! What’s not to love?
- I’m still doing my daily 10 minutes with Duolingo, with which I’m learning Japanese (very slowly) and re-learning French. Ça va bien.
- I’m also losing weight again, after months of it creeping back on. I’m a chunky guy and I’m fine with that, but there’s no denying I feel better with fewer pounds literally weighing me down. And clothes will fit me better, there’s always that.
- My bicycle is overdue for a service. I never got those new tyres last year, as the shop that said they were ordering them just didn’t? They never called me about them at any rate. Their loss. Late last year I got my bike serviced at another place instead and they were cheaper, so that’s where I’ll return. Maybe they’ll get me new tyres.
- I just inherited a new computer, my first Windows PC in many, many years. Think of all the things I can do with it — Games! Music! Maybe I’ll plug in this MIDI keyboard and these guitars here and see what happens?
This is the umpteenth version of my personal website, which I’ve been keeping since October 1999 (and at the current domain since 2003). The blog started in November 2001 and has been running on and off ever since.
The current design went live in January 2017 (and was slightly updated in March 2018, and again in July 2019) after a decade of variations on the previous theme. It’s (mostly) hand-coded in HTML5 and CSS3, building on the responsive CSS framework Skeleton, with the Atom text editor. The font is Roboto Mono. The site is published to the web with WordPress and is hosted by Blacknight Solutions.
The copyright in all original content on this website (including text and images) is owned by me, MacDara Conroy, and licensed under a Creative Commons licence.
This is a personal website. The views and opinions expressed on this site, at time of publication, are/were mine alone, and do not represent the views of my current employers, or any previous employers. I make no pretensions as to the veracity, accuracy or completeness of this site’s content. Some content may also be reworked, edited or removed as I see fit. In addition, parts of this site may contain ‘unsavoury’ language, or links to other sites with such content. Just to make myself clear.